Wednesday, June 18, 2014

#85/341 - Hampton Pirates
This is another jersey that looks worse in the photo. In fact I got this in the mail and thought it looked fake until I searched for Hampton's actual uniforms and found, yeah, this is what they wear.

Hampton is a Virginia school and plays out of the MEAC conference. Now I hate to use the term "black college" but that seems to be the commonly accepted phrase. The MEAC and SWAC conferences are made up of primarily black schools. I've found, with the MEAC especially, that their jerseys are generally easier to find on the internet. I don't know if this is because there is simply a bigger market, or if it's an economic thing, but combing my way through what seems to be unofficial jerseys is a hassle. On the bottom right of this jersey is a MEAC official patch, which is nice.

Getting back to Hampton, when I was younger I must have watched their monumental first round upset of 2-seed Iowa State a hundred times. One of the classic finishes to a tournament game. Seeing their coach get bear-hugged and hoisted into the air is burned into my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment